Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Homemade Vanilla Oil {DIY}

Vanilla Pods
So, I have a very interesting DIY today :) And, this one is making me pretty happy. I just hope the results turn out as good. I was on a trip to Kerela last year and I got vanilla pods from there (only 6)!! I was entirely unsure of how to use them. And, then, I decided to make some toner or some skin care product but discarded the idea. Then, I checked out online and I needed Vodka to make a perfume from that so I decided on this finally. I infused the oil with vanilla pods. 

Ingredients
  • Vanilla Pods
  • Carrier Oil (I preferred almond oil though apricot oil is better, I read somewhere)
  • Knife
Method
Split the vanilla bean pods length wise and cut them into small pieces
Put them in a clean glass jar (preferably sterilized and entirely dry)
Pour oil over the pods. Store it in a dark warm place for a month or two. Occasionally, take it out and shake to maximize the infusion.
My Notes
The color of the oil is already dark in just half a day of infusion. Compare with the second snap above.
  • I did this yesterday night so the results will be out in one or two months when I shall put up a post to tell you about how it went. 
  • While you are infusing, you have two choices - either put the glass jar in a dark place or in sunlight. I wasn't sure which one to choose so I chose dark place as I don't really get much of direct sunlight here. 
  • One more thing I goofed up on was to use almond oil. Actually, I read somewhere that apricot oil is good at absorbing plant essences so if you are making infusions, use apricot oil instead. And, I do have apricot oil. I forgot all about that and remembered it the moment I finished pouring almond oil. Anyways, I shall remember this the next time.  
  • I am so excited about it that I have shaken it 2-3 times till now :D
  • The smell is divine. I can't explain it. And, we are talking about real vanilla smell, not the food flavorings.
What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment