Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Moon Cycles and Hair Growth {Hair Care}

[Source: Google Images]
Myth: If you cut your hair on full moon, it grows faster.
I wanted to share this very interesting myth with you all. The question is whether I believe it or not? I came across this myth almost a year back and I actually had a hair cut on the full moon in January last year. So, what do I feel now.

What's the Myth?
Everything in the entire universe radiates its individual energy and contributes to the global energy patterns. And, you must be well aware how moon phases affect the life on Earth (tidal waves in the ocean, sowing, harvesting periods of the crops, etc.). Following this theory, our hair also has energy and somehow the energy patterns of the moon affects our hair growth. When the moon is at its full radiance, it imparts more energy and consequently, our hair grows faster. And, the opposite happens when the moon dies every month.

Now, there is another clause to this myth. The growth of the moon has more energy than the full moon itself so it is advised to make use of the energies of the moon while it is in the waning phase or when the full moon is coming nearer. This is because if you cut your hair on the full moon, though the hair grows faster, it also becomes thin and brittle. So, for healthy and thick hair, a hair cut is advised three days before the full moon or three days after the new moon. Because, these are the times when the moon's energy is at its max.

Then, the myth also talks about the months or Zodiac sings in which hair cuts are supposed to be the best - Cancer (July), Leo (August), Scorpio (November), Capricorn (January) and Pisces (March). These are fruitful months for promoting healthy hair growth. And, consequently, if you want to lose hair or for hair removal (epilation, waxing, etc.), the new moon is a good time and the months not mentioned above are best.

My Observation after my hair cut
Ok, to speak frankly, my hair has been healthier and its growth has been faster when compared to the previous years. But, I may also say that I did take care of my hair and my hair did under go lot of changes this year (towards good). So, attributing my hair health only to my hair cut on full moon is actually not correct. But, I have no problem in following the moon phases to schedule my hair cuts, to be frank.

My theory about the myth
As I said, I have no problem in trying it out. In the olden or rather ancient days, everything was done according to almanacs or 'muhuraths' as we call in hindi. These days, its restricted to special occasions but you would find folk tales saying that people used to consider good and bad days even for venturing outside the house and taking foreign tours. And, this is something which was followed even in other civilizations, I suppose, not only restricted to India. So, full moon was considered to be an auspicious day for hair cuts, may be. Anyway, this argument doesn't appeal much to me. Because, according to this, we should get a hair cut at night time or may be evenings.Anyways, it was just fun so I thought of sharing it with you.

What do you think of the myth? Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment